How I'm Doing

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Yummy Dinner!!

Okay, so so far I'm loving solids!! I mean, of course I am right? It's my chance to eat real food again.  Except that I was afraid of solids.  What could I eat?  Would I choose the right things?  What would I do if I went out to eat? I haven't gotten to the out to eat part, but that's Wed night.  Dinner with one of my best girlfriends that is in town from Chicago. Anyway....back to solids. So far, I've made really great choices. Don't feel deprived at all, and still must have some little piece of restriction because I'm not starving between meals. Also, I seem to be able (so far) to tolerate everything I'm eating.  Today was:


Breakfast: 1 piece WW Wheat toast with 2 tbl reduced fat peanut butter
Lunch: 2 pieces WW Wheat toast with 2 oz turkey, some shredded cheddar cheese and 1 tbl Miracle Whip light
Snack: Fage greek yogurt with strawberry
Dinner: 4 oz turkey meatloaf with about 2 tbl of mashed potatoes


I've never tried ground turkey before. I've always been a beef girl.  But this turkey meatloaf was fabulous! I'll post the recipe at the end of my blog.  It was a bit peppery, but I'm not a pepper girl, so next time I'll likely only use 1/4 of a teaspoon instead of a half. Oh and I put a 1/2 tbl of rondele garlic and herbs light cheese in the mashed potatoes. YUMMY! I'm taking the rest of my dinner to work for lunch tomorrow. Picture of dinner is on the left. Remember this is a salad plate. I probably at 3/4 of the meatloaf and 1/3 of the potatoes and was perfectly satisfied.


After dinner, I waited about 1/2 hour and then got on my Wii fit. This time I hooked myself up with my Timex personal heart monitor to track my heart rate and calories burned. I can't remember how to adjust my weight on it and cannot locate the manual online, so I'll need to try and find it in my apt.  Regardless, it said that after 40 minutes, I burned 680 calories. I think I'll count it as 500 since the weight isn't set properly. I also walked Lucy in the park today for 30 minutes.


Today was a good day! Official weigh in day tomorrow. Excited to update my tracker!


Turkey Meatloaf Recipe

Directions

  1. 1
    Melt butter in a skillet.
  2. 2
    Cook onion and garlic in melted butter for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. 3
    Place mixture in a large bowl to cool for 5 minutes.
  4. 4
    Combine turkey, bread crumbs, egg, 1/4 cup of the catsup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, and pepper with onion mixture.
  5. 5
    Press meatloaf into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
  6. 6
    Spread remaining catsup on top.
  7. 7
    Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50-55 minutes.
  8. 8
    (Internal temperature should reach 165 degrees.) Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 (213g)
Recipe makes 5 servings
Calories 320
Calories from Fat 141(44%)
Amount Per Serving%DV
Total Fat 15.7g24%
Saturated Fat 5.9g29%
Monounsaturated Fat 5.2g
Polyunsaturated Fat 2.9g
Trans Fat 0.3g
Cholesterol 144mg48%
Sodium 1005mg41%
Potassium 512mg14%
Total Carbohydrate 21.3g7%
Dietary Fiber 1.1g4%
Sugars 10.6g
Protein 23.6g47%

5 comments:

  1. I am totally drooling! Trying to survive my pre-op clear liquid diet by reading blogs, but these food posts are tough. Thanks for posting the recipe, sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember feeling like you did when I went on solids.. but somehow it just works itself out. Your recipe sounds lovely! Might try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm!!

    I will definitely try that turkey meat loaf recipe soon.

    I am so glad to hear everything with solids is going well for you.

    So, I just realized you are using the Wii fit (I thought when you'd mentioned it before you are just using it to weigh yourself). That's cool. I'm not supposed to "exercise" except for walks until the 2nd week of Sept.

    Do you mind my asking what you feel like exercising, are you exhausted after wards?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Brooke - you know they said I could walk on a treadmill, but lift nothing over 10 pounds for the first month. I'm a little over three weeks post op, but am still taking it easy. The Wii fit that I'm doing doesn't involve ab exercises, the yoga has me sucking it in, but I'm not so good at it yet anyway. I definitely sweat and feel like I did pre surgery when I worked out. Tired, but at the same time good for accomplishing something...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen, thanks for the recipe, I'm not a meatloaf lover, but that looks good enough to be a really good burger/loaf recipe too. Steve would like it and i've been using ground turkey forever, so it's good to diversify!

    ReplyDelete