How I'm Doing

Friday, April 23, 2010

Nine Months + Three Days = 100 Pounds!!

I did it! Nine months and three days ago, I charted my course to a healthier new me. It started with three weeks of five slim fast shakes a day (hurl) and a weight of 283 pounds. Had surgery on August 7th, 2009 and today, April 23, 2010 weigh 183 pounds!


It's a great day to hit this. I'm leaving this afternoon to visit my lovely girlfriend Flora in West Palm Beach Florida. I'm excited to test out that plane seat again! So much more fun to fly when you fit in your seat.


So, I'll do a vlog this weekend, but figured today would be a great day to revisit my pros and cons.


I consider my band a blessing and believe that it saved my life twice. 1) I found out that I had thyroid cancer during my physical for the band 2) I've lost 100 pounds, am running and doing my first roadrace in June. I am a completely different person physically than I was just nine months ago.


If you are thinking about getting banded, but afraid because of surgery or sliming, fills, etc. I will tell you that I would pay $100k to have this surgery. It has meant the world to me to look in the mirror and be happy with what I see. I was always a beautiful person on the inside. I really have always loved the person that I am. But the me outside finally matches the me inside and that is the best feeling in the world!


Thank you all for following this journey and for believing in me! 18 more pounds!!! Here we go!


Cons:


  • Going "under" and not knowing what to expect when I wake up - So not a big deal!
  • PB'ing and slime'ing - - It happens and sucks, but doesn't happen too often. 
  • Pain from surgery - - The shoulder pain was terrible, but it went away.
  • Loose skin from weight loss - Okay, this one is probably the worst. My skin is terrible. My tummy (while somewhat flat) needs a serious face lift and we're not even going to discuss the bat wings. HORRIBLE!
  • Cost of shopping for new clothes (which I totally would've done anyway) - Thanks to the sisterhood, I have been mostly outfitted for this entire journey and spent very little $$. You women are seriously amazing and have fantastic fashion sense!
  • Explaining to guys on a date why I eat so little - Let's just focus on getting the date, and then we'll worry about this part!
  • Giving up Diet Dr. Pepper (he's the only doctor I have a real relationship with today) - I can actually drink it, but don't do it often because of the gas. Don't miss it at all!
  • Giving up jennitini's (otherwise known as stoli orange and tonic) - I'll have a vodka soda every once in a while, but I've discovered my love for lemon drop martini's and they are yummier anyway!
Pros:

  • Not being the invisible fat girl - This one is fun! I am not invisible and notice men checking me out pretty regularly!
  • Getting a new wardrobe (shopping spree at goal weight is my gift to myself) - Cannot wait for this, 18 pounds, AMAZING!
  • Shopping anywhere I want without worrying if something will fit - This is an absolutely amazing feeling and incredibly convenient!
  • Shopping with my girlfriends since I won't have to go to the fat store - Also fun and cool!
  • Wearing cute dresses without spanx - I don't always have to wear spanx, but have recently discovered that even my skinny friends wear spanx!! Shouldn't be a bad word!
  • Wearing knee high boots - I'm so fashionable! ;-)
  • Not worrying whether or not I'll fit into an airplane seat and if the seatbelt will buckle- This was an amazing feeling. The fun part now is seeing how much extra seat belt I've got!
  • Being "checked out" by men - Done and done. ;-)
  • DATING again and not hating it - I'm doing new pictures this weekend, maybe this will help the online dating!
  • Being healthy and not worrying about dying too young - This is what it is all about! I have to believe that this is what makes my mom the most happy as well! Love you momma!
  • Resolving this issue that has been surrounding me since I was a child - The lap band is an incredible tool. I never could have been this successful without it. Sure you have to work it, but it has been a blessing and I wouldn't trade it for the world!
  • Posting pictures on facebook that aren't three years old (when I was thinner) - This is so freeing!
  • Being 160 for the first time since I was in my teens - 14 pounds until I'm into the 160's!!

34 comments:

  1. wow that is amazing! congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A real milestone! And your Pros and Cons are really cool. Congrats-you've earned every accolade there is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! Can't wait to see photos of your shopping spree goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I love this post!!! I have not been banded yet and I am going through the 6 month "diet" waiting to get insurance approval. Your post just made me feel so much better! Wow, how encouraging! Most of your cons are my same exact cons. Thank you so much! You look wonderful congrats!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look GREAT!!! This was a wonderful post - great idea.
    Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love you, Jenny! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenni, I have tears running down my face. You are amazing and such an inspiration. I want this for me so badly. And our goal weight is the same, I can't even imagine it. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YEAH YEAH YEAH! You are a great bandster role model! Congrats on all the work you've done on your journey...and enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yea for that 100 pounds that you so justly deserve!

    Some of your pros and cons really resonate with me. Diet Dr. Pepper -- I miss him too. Terribly. I have had about a 1/3 of one since being banded and it didn't cause probs but I don't want to make a habit of it.

    For the pros -- first the finally conquering the issue you've dealt with since childhood. Don't you want to go shout it at every therapist everywhere?!

    Finally, online dating. My husband and I met online so I'm a huge advocate!

    Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!
    I miss soda...but have turned to decaf, fat free (and sugar free if from Starbucks) iced coffees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know going back to read your august entries really helped me get through my pre-op diet ..and gave me an idea of what to expect after surgery. You've done a great job and so many of us are inspired by you..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jen, you are awesome! You are an absolute inspiration. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! You have to be walking on air. I'm waiting to be banded but you seem like a great example of how "working the band" can really work for you. So inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congrats!! So happy for you Jenny xoxo big hugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. CONGRATULATIONS, you superstar!!! You hit 100!!! That is just amazing and wonderful, and I loved your update on the pro/con list! Have a wonderful time in FL. Finally putting those items in the mail to you today!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Babes,
    I am rejoicing for you - truly I am. You are an amazingly strong woman who has taken back control of her life and look where it has you now. I loved your list of pros and cons - and as we all know, the pros win hands down. Congrats on your achievement so far, lovely lady. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your blog! You look amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 100 lbs down, I am so proud of you! You have worked for this and have been a wonderful example of the ideal bandster! You are such an inspiration to me. Have a great time in FL! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! You look wonderful and I LOVE this post!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WooHOO!!!!!! So excited and proud for you!! What a great post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! You look fantastic and really enjoyed reading the revisit of your pros & cons list.

    Have a great weekend with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Horray!!! And thank you SO MUCH for your FB post... means the world to me! I can't wait for us to all celebrate in person!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy for you!!! You so deserve these results. And I'm inspired to be where you are so close to goal!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! You look amazing and you are an inspiration to all of US!

    Have a fantabulous weekend and ROCK Florida baby!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So much wisdom. Such a fantastic attitude. What a wonderful accomplishment Jen. Your dad would be so proud! I have been thinking about him this morning with his birthday so near. Looking forward to your visit. We'll be having tea at my house and then on to Julio's on Thursday. Love you! Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great post! Seems like there are a lot of us missing the Dr. He was a tender and gentle lover. And a big CONGRATULATIONS on making it so far!! It's stories like your that keep me fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hey! I'm in the West Palm area. If you want to meet for coffee or something while you're here, give me a shout!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are amazing hon! I can't wait to see you here and go shopping in the same store together and in the same section!! You can raid my closet anytime - and you're right- very proud of you conquering some of the health issues! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great post - 100 pounds?! That's amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'm so happy for you...Congratulations.
    Your journey has inspired so many including me...my surgery is on Monday and I'm still choking down the 2 weeks of slim-fast. Seeing your results makes me look forward to much brighter days.
    Take a bow girlfriend...you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Jen - You are kicking ass with this band! I am proud of you and your accomplishments. Plus I see lots of dates in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just think, you could of had a baby in the same timeframe that you lost 100 pounds. Ditto from all of your other posts, I'm getting so excited to head down the same journey. Now you can have (2) birthday's, the day you were born and now April 23. Have fun in West Palm.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Would it be too forward if I asked you to see my blog...I just feel I'd have such an advantage through my journey with a veteran like you offering me your advice and words of wisdom. If you can't...no worries...I'll just glean what I can by continuing to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete