How I'm Doing

Friday, November 27, 2009

Success and Pain....

First of all, Thanksgiving was a huge success. My darling band decided to open up a bit and allow me to eat. (Before and after pics below).



I took about two teaspoons of the italian sausage and apple stuffing I made, some mashed potatoes, some turkey and some yummy spinach covered with cheddar cheese. I ate a good amount of the turkey (with yummy gravy), a couple bites of my stuffing - turns out I had no problem with the sausage or bread!! Had most of the spinach, it was yummy and very band friendly. Unfortunately I had none of the potatoes. a) Because I was full and opted for the stuffing instead and b) I think I'm psychologically damaged from my sliming incident last week. I also had a small piece of the pumpkin pie I made - which I didn't finish and had two bites of the chocolate cake we had for my aunts birthday. I also had about 2 1/2 glasses of wine! I was thrilled that I got to experience Thanksgiving, didn't feel at all deprived and didn't have that horrible feeling I've had every other year when I ate multiple plates of food and wasn't even hungry. I'm down to 211 this morning (72 pounds).


Okay...TMI story alert....do not read further if you are a) eating, b) squeamish c) grossed out about poop stories.


Still reading? Okay ladies.....
I haven't been able to go to the bathroom since I got here Wednesday. I tried Wed night, nothing. Tried yesterday morning, really thought it would happen, but nothing. Tried again last night and was on the toilet for 30 minutes just pushing. So horrible for your body but I had to get it out...NOTHING! So, I had some smooth move tea and set off for bed. Woke up at about 4am and sat again for 30 minutes. Was almost in tears just trying to get it out. Finally, it came out. Instant relief, was pretty sure I shot a baseball out of my bum (sorry I mentioned it was TMI), but I've got to believe that many of you have had this same experience true? Unfortunately the smooth move worked really well and I've been in the bathroom again this morning, pretty crampy, not fun. All part of the reason that I'm down two more pounds. That's seven pounds since my fill last Thursday. Anyway, this poop issue has happened to me only twice in my life this badly. Once was just after my thyroid surgery, it was horrible and then last night/this morning. Have you ladies experienced this? What do you do to avoid it? I'm thinking I need to add some benefiber into my diet.


Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving/Thursday and have a great weekend!
Jen


p.s. I didn't mention two HUGE NSV's. 1) I crossed my legs and even sat nearly indian style in my chair on the flight out here. 2) I got into the drivers seat of my mom's car last night to drive us to my aunts. Usually I have to push the seat back and my thighs would hit the steering wheel when I got in and out. She's tiny. Yesterday I got in the car and felt like I needed to move the seat forward. I asked her if someone else had been driving her car and she said no, I was just so much thinner. SO EXCITING!!

13 comments:

  1. probiotics lady!

    Yay for all your nsvs and losing weight. I gained. I hate everyone.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am having the same problem right now. I've been really regular my whole life, but not anymore! Now this is TMI, but I will go ahead anyway. The other day I was showering and noticed I have hemmerroids the only other time I ever got this was after giving birth. I'm gonna try the tea, I'm desperate!!! Someone suggested I buy some magnesium drink, but I havent found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great NSVs. I also really appreciated the pics of before and after and the detail about eating dinner. I have been wondering what it'll be like at Christmas when I will be just starting to eat things like turkey. My mom is an incredible cook and I don't want to feel left out eating only mashed potatoes but it sounds like I'll be able to manage some stuffing and turkey too. When your just 3 days out after banding, all kinds of things run through your mind about how things will go.
    Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great NSVs! I can't wait for the day that airplane seats are comfortable, not to mention, sitting very nearly Indian style! How fabulous are you???

    Glad to hear you had a good Thanksgiving. Thanks for posting the before and after pics of your meal, as I've been very curious about such things. I'm hoping to be banded in January or February, if all goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahhh this has happened to me too many times to count since banding. I swear it's either too hard or too soft no in between for me. The other night as I was sitting on the toilet out of frustration I askedm y fiancee if he thought anyone's butts ever had to be cut open because they couldn't go :( I've found Colace helps. Good Luck, let me know if you find anything that works! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you had a great thanksgiving! I too was down after yesterday!!I didn't attempt stuffing but had a butternut squash casserole that was super yummy! Along with Turkey and a little mashed!
    I have been having the EXACT problem, I have taken Milk of Magnesium (its yucky) BUT it works..coffee helps and the nutritionist recommended Benefiber good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Knock on wood but I am regular now.

    But when I wasn't, yes, I could totally relate. I would tear up (and I worried about tears, too!) because it was soo painful and I know you shouldn't strain but I was so depserate.

    My methid was prune juice, half cup a day, damn the calories and 3 benefibre chewables a day. It helped me get regular.

    Thanks for posting the photo. That's helpful. I think I could probably eat double that with my level of restriction (More if I was being willfully checked out about eating) but it boggles the mind to think that we used to eat 10 x that in the past. I usually had 2 heaping plates at holidays. Plus the 10 pm standing at the fridge visit....

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh you poor girl, that sounded awfully painful. Have you tried taking fibre as part of your daily routine? One multi V and perhaps some benefibre? I am lucky, I haven't had constipation at all, but I think taking a small tube of the benefibre powder thats tasteless and you mix with a drink (I put it in a tiny half glass of skim milk and chug) has helped.
    Congrats on the NSV too!! You are going great guns.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay on the airplane seat...that was one of the kickers for me to decide to go ahead and get the band - I love to travel, and I realized I was second guessing taking trips cause I didn't want to fly...so sorry on the awful part - Try some Benefiber or psyluim husk mixed into a little yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG this was totally me this last week. Never before in my life, not even with my 4 pregnancies. It was horrible! I resorted to some leftover "cleanse" supplements I had - psylium husk or whatever. That did the trick! But I went too far in the other direction as well. Maybe Benefiber next time....

    Right on with the NSVs and the amazing losses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope the poo problems leave you quickly, I've had my own bout and happily all has been resolved here also. Stay away from a lot of sugar...that's what did me in. Enjoy the holiday with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've had these problems too, before and after banding. You're just going to have to do some experimenting to see what works best for you. To soften your stool to make it easier and less painful to go you can try taking Miralax or Coalesce daily. You could also try the Benefiber or Metamucil route to see if that will keep you regular -- a friend of mine with the band does this. I too like the Smooth Move tea or generic Sennakot tablets when things are really backed up! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You were in Az? That's cool! (that's where I live) well I hope your trip and holiday was fantastic!

    And that poo stuff has happened to me before. Generally I conclude it's from not getting near enough water.

    ReplyDelete