How I'm Doing

Monday, November 30, 2009

Making Chili...And How to Do Side-by-Side Pictures

I eat chili at least once a week - typically Hormel Vegetarian Chili. It's yummy, so easy and goes down really well. I sprinkle some reduced fat cheddar cheese and a dollop of reduced fat sour cream on it. I decided that I wanted to reduce the sodium and also save a bit of money by making my own. So simple....it's right off of the McCormick chili seasoning packet. 


1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
2 8 ounce cans of tomato sauce
1 15 ounce can of kidney beans (undrained)
1 onion chopped
seasoning packet


Brown ground beef and onion. Drain fat and throw it seasoning packet, both cans of tomato sauce, kidney beans and seasoning packet. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, turn down heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Then serve. Makes five one cup servings.


Next time I think I'll add a bit of chili powder. I bought the mild seasoning packet, and it was a bit too mild. I'd also like to figure out how to make a vegetarian version. Nutrition facts are as follows - approximately 1 cup serving
Calories - 211
Fat - 7.9
Sodium - 395
Carbs - 17.8
Fiber - 7.2
Protein - 21.7
Nutrition facts will change depending on what meat you use. I used a very low fat 93% lean ground beef.


Side-by-Side Photos
I've gotten some questions about how I do side by side photos. I use PowerPoint.  Steps are as follows:

  1. Import both pictures, position them side by side, size as appropriate
  2. Save slide as a jpeg instead of a powerpoint document
  3. Then, I import the picture (of the powerpoint slide) into IPhoto and crop it etc. (you can prob do this with any photo program). 
  4. Re-save it and import it into blogger
It literally takes three minutes top to do, very easy. Hope that helps!

11 comments:

  1. You must be a mind reader! I was just thinking today,I would love to make turkey chili, I should find a recipe! I had my husband help me with importing my side by side photos, there a little blurry. I will try do it your way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made turkey chili with the McCormick packet last night for my husband and kids (I'm doing liquid so I didn't get to eat any). Also, I always add two cans of beans (usually kidney and pinto), I just drain the liquid from the second can and it's great. Thanks for the side-by-side tip. I have awhile before I want to do one, but it's great to know how!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To make veggie chili you can use vegetarian mince (in the frozen section-I like Morningstar Farms the best) in place of the meat. It's a little...squeaky...but it still tastes yummy. You could also use in place of the meat an equal amount of sliced veggies-I like to use mushrooms, a little onion, carrots, and squash or zucchini. Good luck!

    Tamatha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Thanks for the recipe. The stats are good, too- protein and fiber in the same dish is always a plus :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made a pot of turkey chili yesterday to have for lunches this week. You can't beat it! I added mild rotel tomatoes just to give it more veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! Chili! I've been cooking up a storm but veggie chili never entered my mind. Sounds so good with the cold weather. Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too funny, I just took some Hormel chili off the shelves for dinner tonight! (Veggie)
    It actually doesn't get much cheaper than that.. it was $1.49 per can, but maybe with NYC prices???
    It is great to cook fresh so you go girl.
    I will be asking for these photo instructions again and your bandster tips b/c I'm going in pretty soon. Yay!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I make chili all the time - a bunch of stuff to add to make it even better -

    garlic, cumin, nutmeg (just a little!), oregano, a little wine or beer, tiny bit of brown sugar, Worstershire sauce or red wine vinegar (also just a little), can of mild green chiles (or hot if you like), lots of beans - pinto, black beans, kidney, whatever --drained, diced canned tomatoes. You can also add lots of different veggies, sauteeed before adding the tomatoes -- mushrooms, green or red peppers, carrots, etc.

    And for the Mom Bandsters - serve it over pasta for the kids (and/or husbands) - they love it.

    Use Morningstar or other soy crumbles to make it vegetarian.

    I heart chili!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a big chili lover here too, wish I could enjoy a piece of cornbread with mine, yummy. Thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never thought of making chilli on my own (yet I am not a cook, that's probably why) but that sounds easy, I'll have to try it! those side by side pics sound more complicated than I'm sure they are. I will have to try that too. The picaso I use won't let you pick the order the pics are in, it just throws 'em up there in random order!

    ReplyDelete