How I'm Doing

Thursday, September 24, 2009

How I Got Fat by Jen Welty ;-)

I was inspired by my fellow bandsters telling their stories of weight battles, so I thought I'd share my own. I was always bigger than the kids in my class. Not a fat child, but larger than most. However, by the age of 12 I was on Weight Watchers and was on and off WW for years. I didn't let my weight stop me in highschool. Had lots of friends, dated a couple of really cute boys, got leads in the high school musicals and was the drum major of the band - however I was always overweight. I went through college fat, same thing, great friends, college marching band, cute boys (although not nearly as many as I wish thinking back...) Finally after I was laid off from my first job after college in 2001 and finishing a graduate certificate program at Georgetown, I decided enough was enough. I was 314 pounds (see lovely picture in red) and started Weight Watchers again with my parents. I managed to get down to 186.2 with my Dad's help. He would literally point out everything he cooked for me and freeze it. I lost all of that weight in about 14 months and probably weighed it for one whole day (picture in strapless dress). The day of my friend Shannon's wedding. I was pretty good about keeping most of it off. In fact my inspiration picture is from Shannon's baby shower (picture in reddish pants at bottom). Of course I don't remember ever being this skinny. Thank god for pictures to show me that it's possible. I was probably about 190, 195 in this picture.

I moved to the city, started a new job and grad school, discovered the amazing pizza place across the street and started going out a lot more which equaled many more jenni-tini's (stoli orange and tonic). With that, I probably put on about 20, 25 pounds and was up to about 220 and then the floor dropped out. I received a phone call that my father, whom I had just spoken with the night before, passed away from either a pulmonary embolism or a heart attack. He had double bypass surgery a year prior so they didn't do an autopsy based on all of the heart medication in his hotel room. He was on a business trip. I had McDonalds the day he died and thus started the weight gain. That was December 10th of 2004.

I found myself in January of 2009 at 283 inching even closer to the 314 that I had been back in 2001 and thus came my decision to get the lap band. I think about my Dad all of the time and know how proud he would be of my decision. I have the amazing support of my family and friends and strive everyday to live a better life and be healthier so that I'll be on this earth for many many years to come.

If you made it all the way through this, thanks for reading. It's nice to be able to share this with all of you!  xoxo, Jen




18 comments:

  1. Jen, thanks so much for posting your story. You are beautiful, big and small!

    I am a stress/emotional eater too, so I can only imagine how hard it was when you lost your dad - and how easy it was to start overeating again.

    Look at how far you have come already! And unlike WW (which I have done hundreds of times, I think), this weight will not come back.

    You must be super tall, looking like skinny minny at 190! At the rate you are going you will hit 190 (and then some) in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the loss of your father-I also have lost my parents at a young age and I know how the bottom can just fall out after that. ((hugs))
    It sounds like your dad was always in your corner, and I'm sure he would be thrilled that you've taken control of the situation and are going in the direction you want to be headed. You're an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen-my heart goes out to you about your dad. I still have both of my parents, they are in their mid 60's now. I cant imagine what will happen when the day comes that I dont have them here for me...I pretend like it will never happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen- WOW that was sooo touching and I thank you for sharing that with us !! it's amazing how the events in our lives can get the best of us without even noticing till we're so far up the scale. I am positive that you're father is smiling down from heaven and saying that's my girl !! Keep it up girl you're marvelous !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen-this was so touching and I'm sure difficult for you to write. Your Dad sounded like a wonderful man!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jen, I know he'd be so proud of you. You've done this before, but you'll be able to do it once more and keep it off this time, the band will always be there to back you up. You're so gorgeous at any size - and you're doing so well already! big hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lost my Dad also after a 2 year battle with cancer. I miss him everyday and am thankful that even though I lost him early, that I got such a great Dad in the first place. I'd rather have him for a short time than anyone else for a long time - if that makes sense. He set a great example for me to follow and I try to honor him everyday by being the best I can be and living by his example. I know you know that very well yourself. I can totally relate to your sadness and the weight you put on. I can also relate to the job/school stress as I know that's factored into my weight gain too. Sounds like you are well on your way and I wish you all the luck in the world. You are clearly a determined woman who doesn't mind the hard work that goes along with losing weight. You've done it before and you'll do it again - this time keeping it off for good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh honey, I'm so sorry about your dad! :( It really sounds like you have and will make him proud in your life... that is so special! HUGS!!

    I lost my mom when I was 13 mos old and think of what she'd think ALL the time even though I didn't get the chance to know her like you knew your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry about your dad too. :( I agree that he is smiling down at you from heaven for this choice and for your accomplishments so far on this journey.

    And yes, you must be tall! You look SMOKIN' at 190!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this. What a touching story. I know you dad is so proud of you right now. You gonna get to where you want to be, but you are already beautiful inside and out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry for what you had to go through losing your dad. he looks adorable from the picture! But what you had to go up against...you still made it here today! Bless your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for posting your story. How wonderful is that for you Dad to have cooked you food to help you lose weight! Gotta love great Dads!

    I gained about 40lbs in the 6 months my Dad was fighting cancer, so I definitely feel where you are coming from. I know my Dad would have supported my band decision and I know your Dad would too. Thanks again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. He is SO proud of you! Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your father but I know he is so proud that you have decided to make a change that will affect your health! You are doing awesome and I so appreciate you sharing your story. Maybe I need to do that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ohhh Jen, I welled up reading that because it's so obvious how close you and your Dad were, and still are, and how supportive he was of you.

    I'll bet, as everyone has said, that if he were still with us he'd be pretty excited for you right now. And I am one of those people who believe our deceased loved ones are still with us in our hearts, so I'm pretty sure he is excited and very proud.

    Thank you for sharing. It's been awesome getting to know you through our shared journeys. You are so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jen...Thank you for sharing your story with all of us. You truly have been through a lot in your life.

    You have a beautiful soul and are a beautiful person inside and out.

    Bless you and everything have been through. I hope you continue to have great success with your journey. I know you will!

    ((( BIG HUGS ))) to you for sharing and everything you have been through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely Jen. Could have used a spoiler alert on the picture of Johnnie/Dad!! Cryin at work again!
    Sara and I are thinking about doing this after the first of the year. I need to get settled before embarking on something so huge. Would love to talk and hear even more about your decision and experience.

    Much love,

    Lis

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jen, Thanks so much for sharing. You are doing so great. You are such an inspiration in many ways. Cutest picture of Johnnie/Dad. I miss him too.

    Love,
    Amy

    ReplyDelete