How I'm Doing

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Happy Birthday to Me!!


Today is my 37th birthday....and I feel like I'm in my 20's. I am so incredibly grateful that I made the couragous decision to get this band. I'm down 77 pounds in 5 months and only 7 pounds away from Onederland. Cannot believe it!! I decided for my birthday that I would revisit the pros and cons list I made before surgery.


Cons:


  • Going "under" and not knowing what to expect when I wake up was a breeze, I am no longer afraid of surgery, I could actually become one of those surgery junkies...love that mask.... ;-)
  • PB'ing and slime'ing still haven't pb'd, but have slimed and while gross it goes away and is nothing to be afraid of
  • Pain from surgery yeah, the shoulder pain sucked and to be honest, it's come back a bit lately, but again it was a little pain for a lifetime of happiness
  • Loose skin from weight loss I will likely have the sagging stomach thing and my arms are just big ole chicken wings, but again it's fine and all completely worth it to me and see bullet #1, there is always a tummy tuck!
  • Cost of shopping for new clothes (which I totally would've done anyway) - I discovered Filene's basement!!
  • Explaining to guys on a date why I eat so little Haven't had a date yet, but I've had to come up with an excuse for waiters lately...
  • Giving up Diet Dr. Pepper (he's the only doctor I have a real relationship with today) - I definitely miss diet soda, but again 77 pounds is worth the sacrifice
  • Giving up jennitini's (otherwise known as stoli orange and tonic) - yeah, definitely miss my jennitinis, but I've discovered prickly pair margaritas and pinot grigio ;-)
Pros:
  • Not being the invisible fat girl - I am no longer invisible!! Men let me go through the revolving doors first and actually step out of my way at times. Completely different experience.
  • Getting a new wardrobe (shopping spree at goal weight is my gift to myself) - Only 45 more pounds!!
  • Shopping anywhere I want without worrying if something will fit - not here yet, but I can buy some stuff at Ann Taylor loft which is very exciting.
  • Shopping with my girlfriends since I won't have to go to the fat store - I've actually become more open about this and brought my girlfriends to The Avenue a couple of months ago to help me pick out clothes. They were thrilled to help!
  • Wearing cute dresses without spanx - I'm there!
  • Wearing knee high boots - I'm there!!
  • Not worrying whether or not I'll fit into an airplane seat and if the seatbelt will buckle - Well, I've surpassed this. Not only fit but can cross my legs, even on DELTA (the no leg room airline)
  • Being "checked out" by men - this is happening again and is awesome!
  • DATING again and not hating it - I'm joining eharmony for my bday present to myself
  • Being healthy and not worrying about dying too young - I'm feeling so much healthier. Going to get blood tests in the next few weeks to check cholesterol etc.
  • Resolving this issue that has been surrounding me since I was a child - Feel like this has been a fantastic solution!
  • Posting pictures on facebook that aren't three years old (when I was thinner) - I'm getting there. Maybe I'll post bday pics from tonight!
  • Being 160 for the first time since I was in my teens - I'm so much closer to this, it's thrilling!!

24 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic post! And Happy Birthday! You look like you are 27, not 37! What a great list for newbies and for those of us who need a reminder from time to time! I hope you have a great day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome list...isn't it cool when you start crossing stuff off?
    Happy Birthday to you indeed!!!! What a great present to give yourself as well.
    Can't wait to see what the new year brings your way ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Girl! You deserve a wonderful birthday filled with all of your favorite things!! You are doing so great and look amazing! Have a great day!!! BTW December must be the month of the Jennifers...you, me, Gen in CO...too weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday Jen!!! That is one heck of a great list of wonderful things!! You've done so much for yourself, and it looks like you are in for a fantastic year (and beyond)!! Happy happy b-day!! :)

    xoxoxo,
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! My daughter met her fiance on Eharmony and he is a sweet guy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday!! What a great list, you are an inspiration to us all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!!! I love your list and the fact that you've already conquered most of them is inspiring!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy, Happy birthday! I turned 37 about 3 weeks ago - it is one of the healthiest birthdays I've had in a long, long time! Amazing, isn't it??? And I think that you've chosen a good gift to yourself for your bday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Jen! Enjoy your day! It's so exciting what you have accomplished in such a short period of time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday and what an excellent post! You have done a great job and I am excited for you and all the new things you enjoyng. Wow crossing your legs on a plane! That is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Jen. You have a reason to celebrate! Keep up your great work. How are you losing so fast? how much do you have in your band....you must be exercising like crazy. Look me up, I'm on facebook too. (Tamara Bostrom Avalos)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday Jen!!!!
    Next time your in Boston for work we must meet up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday-- great list! YOu are doing so fabulously... I look forward to getting to meet in person someday in the future at another NYC bandster hang out!!
    xo Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday, gorgeous girl!! We are all blowing out the candles for you here where-ever it is we are and wishing we could be there with you.

    What a wonderful list - I found myself smiling at your exuberance with conquering so many of these already. You have done so well. Possibly the best birthday gift you could ever have given yourself.

    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic post Jen! I agree with everyone, especially Cara (The Dash)!!

    Hope your Birthday was fantastic!!!

    Merry Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Jen...looks like you gave yourself the best birthday present ever - 5 months ago. Have a great day and thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a little late here, but Happy Birthday. I hope you had a wonderful day. You look amazing and I'm so happy for you that you're so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

    I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now, and it's awesome. I'm scheduled for surgery Jan. 4th. Your pros/cons list is particularly helpful, and a great reminder of why I'm doing this and what I can look forward to. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday sweetie! I was a little busy to wish you a happy birthday yesterday...;)! Hope to buy you a celebratory prickly pear margarita soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy Birthday Jen !!! I'm so glad to see how much your cons have changed since then...its amazing what we have all learned that we can endure through this expereince !!

    Looks like were both in a sprint for that onderland finish line I'm also 7 lbs away.
    What do you say pedi's on me when we get there ???

    ReplyDelete
  21. Happy Birthday! Love this post and how you've revisited your pro - con list. I met my husband on Match so the whole online dating thing definitely works!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jen just wanted to wish you a Merry Christmas ! You are such a kind and terrific person and I wish that this season brings you all the joy, love and gorgeous curves you very much deserve !!

    ReplyDelete