How I'm Doing

Friday, July 31, 2009

Surgery postponed....BUT I'll be a star....

So, I had my pre-op testing yesterday. It was a breeze. Met with the anaesthesiologist first and let him know about my bronchitis and ear infection (which yesterday ratcheted up to some serious pain levels) and he said that if I wasn't feeling better by Saturday they would likely need to reschedule the surgery. He told me to call Dr. Fielding's office today. So, this morning I called Aja, my patient coordinator and explained the situation. She mentioned that usually when people are on antibiotics they don't do surgery. She asked me to hold and came back a few minutes later to tell me that I would indeed need to finish my antibiotics (which would be Wed) before they could do surgery. Dr. Fielding only does surgeries on Mon and Fri, so I knew that Fri would be the next option. She said she needed to check on some things and called me back about 30 minutes later to tell me that Dr. Fielding was doing a workshop on Friday which meant that if I was willing, he would do my surgery but that many bariatric surgeons would be watching. Apparently there are cameras in the operating room and doctors sitting in an auditorium somewhere that would be viewing the surgery live. My face won't be seen....just everything else. "No problem" I said. I also mentioned that I knew that Dr. Fielding was an amazing surgeon, but he would clearly be on his "a" game that day since he was performing for so many colleagues. So....my 15 minutes of fame will be on Friday!



I'm okay with postponing. My ear is still really bothering me and now the pressure is off to feel better by tomorrow. The only crappy thing is that it means one extra week of the liquid diet pre-op. My fellow bandster friends, that would make a total of three weeks + 10 days of only liquids.....yep that would be a month of no solid food except veggies. Wow!



One more thing to note. My mom is without a doubt the most amazing, selfless, beautiful person I know. She was supposed to be singing in a friends wedding in Oregon this weekend (my mom lives in Arizona) and when she heard me crying because of the pain in my ear, she hopped a plane and came to NYC. She was planning on coming on Sunday evening, but showed up Thursday night. It is so great to have her here. We're typing on our computers and watching "What not to wear", but we're doing it together. So wonderful.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I would kill for a mother that did something like that.. but I can't believe you're still suffering from that earache :( What a drama for you. Will keep an eye on your blog for some good news. I reallllly hope you get better soon (I've been doing that for a while but it's not working lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least it's only one week. You can manage that. Maybe you should write on your tummy with magic marker...a nice message for all the docs watching? Something like "I usally charge for something like this ?" hahah...

    I watched WNTW last night too. I felt so damn bad for that girl bc she couldnt see herself as thinner. I was wondering if she had WLS bc they never really said HOW she lost the weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i watched WNTW too ... and i wasn't quite as sympathetic. it was almost too much for me. something about her just struck me as odd.

    i wonder if stacy and clinton would do a group WNTW with all us blogging bandsters?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about the delay. Especially when you have been working SO hard. But it's great that your mom's there and you're getting a little TLC prior to surgery.

    ReplyDelete