How I'm Doing

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Gall Bladder Questions

For those of you who have had issues with gall bladder attacks. How did you know? I've been nauseous since Saturday on and off, and have had cramping in my lower abdomen and stomach for the past two days. Lots of bathroom issues today. I'm sure it's just a bug, but obviously with the band I'm hypersensitive to gall bladder stuff!! So, what did it feel like? The pain isn't bad at all, just a stab every once in a while. What about you guys?


Thanks in advance! ;-)

12 comments:

  1. Is it the left or right side? My doc said that gall bladder pain would be felt on my right. HTH.
    Mwah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm if you are having a gall bladder attack you will know it. It is the most painful thing I have ever experienced. I have a HIGH pain tolerance and I called my family in tears and told them I was going to die alone in Michigan. I barely could drive myself to the emergency room. The pain is constant and more in your upper arm than anywhere else. Also the pain gets worse if you lay down. If your pain is on and off- I doubt it is an attack. If you are concerned about your gall bladder you can adjust your diet to for better gall bladder health. Limit dairy- low fat- and eat cucumbers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I sort of disagree with Best Me. My GB attack was pretty mild - it felt like a side stitch, on my right side. Just below my ribs. I first felt it while on the treadmill, so I thought it was in fact a side stitch -- but then it came back the next day. Sort of a dull pain and discomfort for me. This was absolutely nothing compared to the kidney stone I experienced years ago (as bad as labor). So I think you can have a mild reaction. I know some people have bathroom issues, I did not.

    I hope this is not the case! Maybe just a bug?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow.... Guess there is no 'one size fits all when it comes to the gall bladder!' I had mine taken out in '94 so it's been a while, but I'll never forget that pain!!!! Fir me it was INTENSE sharp pain that would suddenly come out if the blue... Right in the middle of my sternum.... Top of my rib cage. Attacks would last up to half an hour and I'd get goosebumps, chills and this unreal feeling that I either needed to throw up or poo, but one way or another it felt like I needs to force something out... This all started about 3 months I had an emergency appendectomy while studying in Mexico!!! Second worst pain in life.

    Funny thing is, my lapband surgeon was going to remove my gb, but he didn't think he'd have his laporoscopy equipment here before my college insurance ran out so I Ended up having it taken out inpennsylvania where I was at school

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my gall bladder went bad I had bouts of dizziness and severe pain when the doctor palpated just below the center of my breast bone.

    Sorry you're not feeling well. I hope you're better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG.. my gb was a one time event that I vowed would never happen again. I chronicled it here http://bandtheory.blogspot.com/2010/04/to-surgery-tomorrow.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jen, surely keep an eye on this, but I was nauseated for about a week this past few days-- there is a bug going around, so it could be as simple as that.
    If you need to, run in to the doc's and get yourself checked, though.. don't suffer. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had my gall bladder out when I was 18 (the complications during the surgery is a whole different story) and the attack was the worst pain I can ever remember. I threw up because I was in so much pain. And I was just writhing around on the bed, pretty literally screaming. It was terrible. After probably 2 hours, the pain just suddenly stopped (which I've heard is pretty typical of a GB attack...it actually stopped while I was on the way to the ER). Anyways, it was crazy and horrible - I was glad to be rid of it.

    Also, as the above poster said, there was a terrible stomach flu going around over the holidays. My whole family got it. My sister and I were vomiting for 24 hours and my mom lost so much fluid in such a short time, she had to go to the hospital for IV fluids. It was a bummer :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen - Sorry to hear you are not feeling well. Sounds like getting some feedback from a doctor might help - especially since the experiences of your lap band friends are all so different.
    Let us know what happens.
    Love you,
    Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not sure if you saw my post from about 4-5 weeks ago but I just had my galbladder out.
    I had several episodes over the last few months that lasted from 3 0 12 hours. During this time, the worst of my pain was in my lower back. I had the sweats, felt constipated and nauseous, all at the same time. There was no position that allowed me to be comfortable. It flared a couple hours after eating. By the second night, I ended up in the emergency room. The started with a cat scan because I told them I thought it was kidney stone related because I remember having a bout with that back in my 20's. The cat came up negative but indicated something about my gallbladder so they proceeded with an ultra sound. The diagnosis was made that it wasn't the type of gallbladder issues I could live with so the next day I met with my WLS surgeon at Temple University and the following day he removed it.
    No issues since except a little bit in the bathroom area.
    I hope that helps. I you want to talk live, e-mail me and I'll send you my cell #.
    Love ya,
    cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mine felt like a heart attack, very painful. It was so bad I ended up in the ER. I hope you are feeling better! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey girl, are you ok? Just checking in on you. xoxo

    ReplyDelete